Healthy advise for urbanists
A “to do” list for urban planners, architects & interior designers, in response to the coronavirus.
In towns & cities:
- reduce traffic speeds to 20mph/30kph to discourage speeding on empty streets during lockdown & to keep the air clean, the sound low & the accidents down after the “return”.
On wide streets:
- broaden footways to improve physical distancing in the short term & encourage pedestrian flow in the long
- then narrow roadways further with cycle lanes to support physical activity during lockdown & active commuting on the return.
In public spaces:
- provide more shade, more seats, more WiFi
- place more seats on broadened footways so calls can be answered & people can convert from moving to sitting down…
- …and so “I’ll call you back” becomes “Just give me a second to sit down.”
- focus on customer touch, copresence, changing & comfort because everything else can be done at…
View original post 239 more words